Doggy Day Care Checklist : 101 Dog Care Tips- Tip 64
What makes a doggy day care a good match for your dog? How do you choose the right doggy day are for your best friend? Well we have a few key tips and questions for you to heed and ponder to ensure that your dog is well cared for, safe and in good hands.
1. Visit before enrolling your dog. Prior to dropping your dog off make sure you go in for a tour. You will want to make an appointment to schedule a tour. Make sure you go alone on your first visit and leave your dog at home to avoid distractions so you are better able to pinpoint any red flags. It is important that you are focused and get a detailed sneak peek into a day and the life of this doggy care.. Watch carefully how dogs interact with each other and with the staff. Notice how the dogs are treated (shade, rest & water) and if the staff behaves in a highly professional manner.
2. Look, listen and sniff. The day care facility should be clean, doggy odor free from urine and fecal matter and filled with happy dog talk, not whines and aggressive growls.
3. Check the climate. Make sure the day care is properly ventilated and air conditioned. Also, check to see if your dog will have a safe place to get out door exercise and fresh air.
4. Look at the layout. Are big dogs separated from the tiny dogs? Are their safe toys within each designated doggy zone? Does your dog have a nice & comfy place to retreat, nap and flop?
5. Ask about pack introductions. How is a new dog introduced to the pack of regular pups? Often times some facilities will have a staff member shadow the new dog for a day or two to ease the transition and acceptance by other dogs. Make sure that the doggy day care does temperament test and properly separate highly submissive or fearful dogs from over confident, dominate dogs. Often times day cares will provide the owner with written rules to keep all dogs safe, including the right to expel dogs who exhibit very aggressive behavior tendencies.
6. Consider the staff. Make sure the day care is equipped with enough staff to handle even the most rowdy furry bunch. Does the staff include professional dog trainers & care takers? Does the staff rely on positive reinforcement rather than physical punishment? Is the staff equipped to handle emergency situations and trained in canine CPR & first aid? How are dogs transported to the vet in the event of an emergency?
7. Do a health check. Reputable doggy day cares require every owner to show proof of updated vaccinations, regular flea and tick treatments, are not aggressive and parasite free. You also want to make sure your dog is spayed or neutered.
8. Gauge the personal level of attention. Are your dog's personal supplies (food, medications, leashes) kept in a separate container? Does the staff greet dogs by name and recognize dietary needs and personality traits?
9. Scout the facility for safety. Are there double locked doors preventing dogs from escaping or fleeing into the streets? Are medications and cleaning supplies stored out of paws reach? Is there a safe confined & fenced outdoor area for dogs? Do handlers make sure dogs are walked on leash? Does the staff insist that all dogs were their ID tags at all time?
10. Do a trial run. Schedule your dog to spend a day or few hours at the day care. When you pick up your dog at the end of the day observe your dogs behaviour & demeanor. Does your dog seem happy & relaxed or anxious & tense? Watch carefully to see if your dog goes happily up to the staff or cower back.
BEST BULLY STICKS HAPPENINGS!
SPECIAL! Refer-A-Friend Discount is 12% in September
Many of you have taken advantage of our Refer-a-Friend/Family Member program, and we extend our heartfelt thanks for that–it’s the biggest compliment you can give us. This new 12% offer is valid for the month September only and then goes back to 6%, so please be sure to take advantage of this great deal quickly!
Are you new to Refer-A-Friend? It’s simple! Here’s how it works:
*Your friend or family member places their first order with Best Bully Sticks.
*On that first order, your friend or family member types your name and the words “Refer-A-Friend” in the “Comments” section.
*We send you a coupon code for 12% off when their order is placed!
There are no limits to the Refer-A-Friend promotion, so you save 12% off our products this September every time a new friend or family member places their first order!
How Can You Give Back To Barkworthy Rescues and Shelters Across the Globe? Click to Give a $1 at Checkout!
Well, we we tell you how you can help Best Bully Sticks support them. With your help we can save lives one $1 at a time and no animal needs to suffer.
Participate in our Best Bully Sticks $1 Donation Program by shopping on www.bestbullysticks.com and clicking to donate a $1 at checkout. For every $1 you donate at checkout we will donate a $1 with a 100% of the proceeds going to rescues and shelters in need across the country. The money raised will help with out reach, basic animal necessities and rescue programs. Donations raised monthly by you will be given to 3 lucky rescues during our ongoing monthly Best Bully Sticks Rescue Shelter Giveaway.
NEW! PRICE-MATCH GUARANTEE!
We are so confident that we offer the best prices at www.bestbullysticks.com that we now match ANY online vendor price on any item we sell!
If you find anything on bestbullysticks.com for less on another website (excluding Amazon and Ebay), let us know and we’ll credit the difference to you. It must be the same item. For bulk items, we’ll try our best to match the price. Email us at email@example.com with any questions or to take advantage of this great new service.
Do you have a bone to pick with us?
Our dog chews & dog bones are all natural, and from either Brazilian or US meat sources. If you have a highly aggressive chewers then you came to the right place. Your dogs will fall in love with our grrreat selection, while you go gaga over our amazing prices! We are constantly adding new dog bones & chews, so make sure to check back often. Better yet sign up for our newsletter and receive the inside scoop on new products, special saving & discounts & stay up to date on Best Bully Sticks happenings for 2010. We have some wonderful things in store worth barking about, so sniff around our site daily!
Offering you more of the best of the best-with your input!
Since you are our most valuable resource and we want Best Bully Sticks to be your go-to source for great pooch stuff, we need your help! Please let us know what you think we should offer, and how you think we can improve our website, for your best possible shopping experience with us. We will carefully consider all ideas.
Give the gift of a good chew by shopping www.bestbullysticks.com . Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended! Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats, dog chews, and of course our chew-licious bully sticks and much more. Try our NEW All Natural Free Range Odor free bully sticks!
Smile and Say Bully Sticks! Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!
Also, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter for Best Bully Stick News, New Products & Discounts!! For daily updates follow us on twitter @bestbullysticks
Become a fan of our facebook page for exclusive coupons and giveaways. http://www.facebook.com/BestBully