How To Teach Kids Dog Safety: 101 Dog Care Tips- Tip 68
Often times kids do not sense danger, so it is up to parents to ensure their safety. It is very important to supervise child dog interaction and teach your children how to safely approach and play with dogs. By following these safety tips you can avoid unnecessary injuries, growls & prevent dog bites, making sure the experience is a positive and pleasant for all involved.
1. Although sweet intentions, teach kids to NEVER approach or attempt to pet an unfamiliar or stray dog. Since not all dogs may be comfortable with strangers and may mistake their intentions as a threat. That includes a dog that is on the other side of a fence. Many kids are often excited to see a new dog and simply run up to the dog assuming the dog will be friendly, this can result in negative consequences.
2. Children should properly approach & meet dogs in a calm fashion, asking the dog owners permission first before petting the dog. Instruct your child to hold her hand out to the dog before attempting to the dog. Your child should allow the dog to sniff her hand first, so the dog understands your child is not a threat. It is crucial that you model how to approach a dog. Show your toddler how to approach quietly and calmly from the side. Demonstrate how to walk without quick or sudden movements, such as lunging or running.
4. Kids should be respectful, gentle and kind towards animals. Never allow children to tease and tug on a dog ears, fur or tail. This type of pestering behavior can cause a dog to bite or get angry. Instead the child should gently stroke the dog's fur in direction the hair grows.
5. NEVER leave your child unattended with a dog, specifically unfamiliar dogs. Supervision is key! As a parent it is up to you to monitor dog & child interaction in order to keep everyone safe.
6. Teach your children never to run up to a dog who is eating, chewing on a bone or toy. Some dogs are food aggressive or bone or toy possessive. Also let them know they should never try to take those items away from a dog.
7.Teach your children to never put their face up to the dog's face. The dog could perceive that behavior as a challenge. Also, make sure the child knows to keep their face away from the dog's paws. The dog can hurt a child by scratching them.
8. Make sure children know when it is appropriate to run and scream when a dog is present. High energy child's play, running or screaming can get dog over excited and may cause dog to chase, jump or even bite.
9. Do not allow children to eat or keep food around an unfamiliar dog, some dogs may not know that snatching food is not good doggy etiquette. Dogs do not understand their own strength and may topple over your little kid for a tiny morsel.
Best Bully Sticks News!
How Can You Give Back To Barkworthy Rescues and Shelters Across the Globe? Click to Give a $1 at Checkout!
Well, we we tell you how you can help Best Bully Sticks support them. With your help we can save lives one $1 at a time and no animal needs to suffer.
Participate in our Best Bully Sticks $1 Donation Program by shopping on www.bestbullysticks.com and clicking to donate a $1 at checkout. For every $1 you donate at checkout we will donate a $1 with a 100% of the proceeds going to rescues and shelters in need across the country. The money raised will help with out reach, basic animal necessities and rescue programs. Donations raised monthly by you will be given to 3 lucky rescues during our ongoing monthly Best Bully Sticks Rescue Shelter Giveaway.
NEW! PRICE-MATCH GUARANTEE!
We are so confident that we offer the best prices at www.bestbullysticks.com that we now match ANY online vendor price on any item we sell!
If you find anything on bestbullysticks.com for less on another website (excluding Amazon and Ebay), let us know and we’ll credit the difference to you. It must be the same item. For bulk items, we’ll try our best to match the price. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to take advantage of this great new service.
Do you have a bone to pick with us?
Our dog chews & dog bones are all natural, and from either Brazilian or US meat sources. If you have a highly aggressive chewers then you came to the right place. Your dogs will fall in love with our grrreat selection, while you go gaga over our amazing prices! We are constantly adding new dog bones & chews, so make sure to check back often. Better yet sign up for our newsletter and receive the inside scoop on new products, special saving & discounts & stay up to date on Best Bully Sticks happenings for 2010. We have some wonderful things in store worth barking about, so sniff around our site daily!
Offering you more of the best of the best-with your input!
Since you are our most valuable resource and we want Best Bully Sticks to be your go-to source for great pooch stuff, we need your help! Please let us know what you think we should offer, and how you think we can improve our website, for your best possible shopping experience with us. We will carefully consider all ideas.
Give the gift of a good chew by shopping www.bestbullysticks.com . Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended! Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats, dog chews, and of course our chew-licious bully sticks and much more. Try our NEW All Natural Free Range Odor free bully sticks!
Smile and Say Bully Sticks! Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!
Also, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter for Best Bully Stick News, New Products & Discounts!! For daily updates follow us on twitter @bestbullysticks
Become a fan of our facebook page for exclusive coupons and giveaways. http://www.facebook.com/BestBully