Best Bully Sticks Spotlight on a Breed - Pekingese
Height: 6-9 inches
Coat: Pekingese have a long, coarse-textured, straight, stand-off outer coat, with thick, soft undercoat. The coat forms a noticeable mane on the neck and shoulder area with the coat on the remainder of the body somewhat shorter in length. Long feathering is found on toes, backs of the thighs and forelegs, with longer fringing on the ears and tail.
Appearance: The Pekingese has an extravagant, long, straight-flowing coat that has profuse feathering and comes in all colors. It has a broad head that is wide between their large, dark, lucid and slightly prominent eyes. The face is flat with a dark, wrinkled muzzle, and drooping heart-shaped, long feathering ears.
Temperament: A combination of regal dignity, intelligence and self-importance make for a good natured, opinionated and affectionate companion to those who have earned its respect. For those who have not gained the respect of their Pekingese, they have been known run the house.
Health: Pekingese tend to catch colds very easily. They are prone to herniated disks and dislocated kneecaps. Trichaiasis (lashes growing inwards toward the eyeballs). Pekingese' other main problems are breathing problems, resulting from its tiny skull and flattened face, and skin allergies.
- Bambi, pet of Miss Marjory Warner, upon whom James Herriot based his characters Mrs. Pumphrey and Tricki Woo
- Chu-Chu from Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan
- Fifi the Peke, the girlfriend of Pluto, Mickey Mouse's pet.
- Buster, Pet of Chinese folk historian Onoj Ewalg
- Manchu, pet of Theodore Roosevelt's daughter, Alice Lee Roosevelt Longworth.
- Winnie/Wednesday, pet of Bridget Marquardt, Hugh Hefner's girlfriend, as seen on E!'s The Girls Next Door
- Sun Yat owned by Henry Sleeper Harper - Harper Brothers Publishing - was a survivor on the Titanic
- Penelope, pet of Philadelphia composer Joseph Hallman
- Plato (or pouzy), owned by Nounie (lifestyle magazine editor)