At some point in time as a pet owner your dog will experience vomiting and you will be on clean up duty. Dogs are notorious for eating things they are not suppose to and often times their poor judgment can get them in a lot of trouble and cause them to become sick. But sometimes vomiting can be a sure sign of a serious illness that needs immediate vet attention, so keep your eyes on alert within the first 24 hours. Here are a few at home tips to treat and care for a vomiting dog. It is important to show your dog some tender loving care.
1. Enforce a Food Fast. It is important to give your dogs digestive system some time to recoup and rest from the vomiting by not feeding your dog for 12-24 hours. You can give your dog small amounts of water to keep them hydrated. Food and large amounts of water will only aggravate your dogs upset stomach.
2. Keep your dog's blood sugar levels in check. Since you will be withholding food from your dog it is important to monitor your dog's blood sugar levels. Your dog may experience hypoglycemia or low blood sugar during the fasting phase. Prevent low blood sugar levels by rubbing a small amount of a sugary fluid such as honey, karo syrup, maple syrup or sugar water on your dog's gums. Repeat this every several hours.
3. Monitor Dogs Hydration. Vomiting can cause dehydration so make sure your dog remains hydrated in small amounts on a constant basis. Monitor his intake and don't let him drink to excess. Excessive, fast drinking is a common response to nausea in dogs but the problem is that it trigger dog vomiting and make the upset stomach worse. If necessary, limit the water available to the dog by doling it out in hourly rations. Offering your dog ice cubes will prevent dehydration and keep him from gulping down large amounts of water which can cause more vomiting.
Once your dog has gone 4 hours without vomiting then you can give him Pedialyte. Unflavored Pedialyte in small amounts (no more than 1/4 cup for a medium sized dog every 20 minutes) will help replenish your dogs fluids and counteract dehydration. Mix small amount of water 50/50 with Pedialyte. If the dog will not drink unflavored Pedialyte, try flavoring it with chicken or beef broth (onion-free) or add watered beef or chicken bullion for an appealing flavor.
4. Bland Food is Good. Normal dog food will only upset his stomach further. Once your dog has stopped vomiting for 12 hours feed your dog a homemade bland diet in small amounts for several days to gradually reintroduce food. Its good to make your dog a batch of Rice, white chicken meat with the skin removed and cottage cheese. You can also use plain hamburger meat that has been boiled and drained from fat. Initially feed your dog small amounts of this bland food and once 4 hours has passed without vomiting then you can give your dog a little more. The hope is that eventually your dog will be back to eating his normal meal size. Once you see that your dog is feeling a lot better and is holding down his food, over the next 3-5 mix in the dog's normal food, while gradually phasing out the homemade bland food. This gradual transition is vital to prevent a relapse of the dog's vomiting.
5. Give Your Dog Some Pepto-Bismol. Make sure to ask your vet if you can give your dog a soothing dose of Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate. This will help to calm your dog's stomach and keep the fluids down. If you get the okay from vet make sure to follow the instructions on the bottle, but the usual dose for a dog is 1 tsp per twenty pounds of body weight. For dogs less cooperative you can use a syringe or eyedropper to administer the Pepto -Bismol.
Important Note: ALWAYS Check with your vet before giving any over-the-counter medications to your pet, especially if he or she is on other medications.
6. Observe your dog's vomit. Although looking at vomit is never an appetizing sight to see, its important to know what your dog was throwing up and the look of it in case a vet visit is in order. Check to see if stool material, blood (could be a sign of an infection, parasite or more serious ailments) or what looks like coffee grounds are present, if so seek vet help ASAP. You also may want to take a look at your dogs stool and bring in a sample to the vet. Also monitor your dog's weight to make sure it is normal.
7. Examine dog's gums. If your dogs gum are very pale this is a sign he or she is anemic and needs immediate medical attention.
Contact your dog's veterinarian immediately if your dog vomits blood, appears to be in pain, acts weak and lethargic, has a fever or does not improve after 24 to 48 hours.
NEW! PRICE-MATCH GUARANTEE!
We are so confident that we offer the best prices at bestbullysticks.com that we now match ANY online vendor price on any item we sell!
If you find anything on bestbullysticks.com for less on another website (excluding Amazon and Ebay), let us know and we’ll credit the difference to you. It must be the same item. For bulk items, we’ll try our best to match the price. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to take advantage of this great new service.
Refer-A-Friend now offering a 6% discount per referral
Many of you have taken advantage of our Refer-a-Friend/Family Member program, and we extend our heartfelt thanks for that-it’s the biggest compliment you can give us.
Are you new to Refer-A-Friend? It’s simple! Here’s how it works:
*Your friend or family member places their first order with Best Bully Sticks.
*On that first order, your friend or family member types your name and the words “Refer-A-Friend” in the “Comments” section.
*We send you a coupon code for 6% off when their order is placed!
There are no limits to the Refer-A-Friend promotion, so you save 6% off our products every time a new friend or family member places their first order!
Do you have a bone to pick with us?
Our dog chews & bones are all natural, and from either Brazilian or US meat sources. If you have a highly aggressive chewers then you came to the right place. Your dogs will fall in love with our grrreat selection, while you go gaga over our amazing prices! We are constantly adding new dog bones & chews, so make sure to check back often. Better yet sign up for our newsletter and receive the inside scoop on new products, special saving & discounts & stay up to date on Best Bully Sticks happenings for 2010. We have some wonderful things in store worth barking about, so sniff around our site daily!
Offering you more of the best of the best-with your input!
Since you are our most valuable resource and we want Best Bully Sticks to be your go-to source for great pooch stuff, we need your help! Please let us know what you think we should offer, and how you think we can improve our website, for your best possible shopping experience with us. We will carefully consider all ideas.
Give the gift of a good chew. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended!
Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats, dog chews, and of course our bully sticks . Try our NEW Odorless Odor free all natural free range bully sticks!
A picture is worth a thousand words, or shall we say free bully sticks!
Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!
Bark the Word! Join the Best Bully Sticks Free Affiliate Program & Earn 6% Commission or 6% Product Discount