Dog Care 101 Tip #194: DIY Christmas Gifts
A handmade gift is from the heart. So, this Christmas make a personalized gift for a dog you love or a fellow dog-lover. It will leave an impression this season and for many more to come. BestBullySticks.com gives you three easy DIY Christmas Gifts for Dogs and Dog-Lovers.
“Deck the dogs with boughs of holly?” This adorable, seasonal dog accessory is sure to get your dog lots of doting looks.
Fabric glue (optional)
Decorative cord (optional)
Needle and thread
Felt Holly Ascot template
1. Measure your dog's neck.
2. Print Felt Holly Ascot template. To get the right fit for your dog, divide measurement from step 1 in half, and add the resulting measurement to the length of template, extending the straight end accordingly.
3. Fold felt in half, and place template on top, with the straight end of template near the fold. Cut around template without cutting through fold, creating a long, thin rectangle that's roughly twice as long as template. Repeat, cutting another rectangle of felt, and then one from fusible webbing.
4. Lay a piece of felt over webbing, and iron to fuse them. Remove backing from webbing, and sandwich with a second piece of felt. Iron to fuse them.
5. Fold fused fabric in half, and place template so the straight end is on the fold. Trace template onto felt with a disappearing-ink pen, cut out the shape, and unfold.
6. Fold 1 holly leaf in half lengthwise, and press with steam to give leaf dimension. Repeat with remaining leaf.
7. If desired, use fabric glue to attach decorative cord from leaf tip to leaf tip, along center of collar.
8. Stitch on Velcro dots where the leaves will cross each other when collar is worn. Sew on 3 bells. Read more