How To Potty Train Stubborn Dog: 101 Dog Care Tips- Tip 119
If you are new pet owner then potty training your dog should be at the top of your to do list. Especially if you don't want your entire house smelling like a porta potty. Cleaning up your dog's #1 and #2 business is a fact of life. But what if your adorable pup is also stubborn and refuses to take it outside? Well, we have a few tips from our friends at ehow just for you! With love and patience your dog will soon be doing his business outdoors instead of on your newly polished wood floors or soiling your carpet.
1. Limit Dog's Home Access. Prepare an area where your dog has limited access in your home. This might involve putting up a toddler gate across a doorway or keeping him a kitchen or a laundry room. His area should have only solid surface flooring, no carpeting. Put his crate in the area. Your dog's crate must be big enough that he can comfortably stand, turn around and stretch out when lying down
2. Potty Training Pads are Lifesavers! Place newspapers on a large part of the floor in her area and place a potty training pad in the middle. These pads are treated with pheromones that tell your dog to "go here." Make a separate feeding area, preferably outside for now, although you must provide fresh water for your dog at least once per hour.
3. Devise a feeding and napping schedule. Stubborn dogs are often used to eating and napping on their own schedule, which leads to them assuming they can do whatever they like, whenever they choose. Puppies need to eat at least three times a day; older dogs should have two mealtimes. Until your dog is housebroken, his napping and overnight sleep times must be carefully controlled, as well.
4. Potty Break Immediately After Nap & Meal time. Take your dog to the newspaper or outside (preferably) to eliminate immediately after she wakes up from a nap or as soon as she finishes eating. The younger your dog is, the more important it is to move her quickly after these two activities to her elimination spot. This is where patience and consistency come in. Stay with your dog, either in the yard or while on leash and tell him, "Go potty." Allow her to sniff the ground and walk about until she goes.
5. Reward With Tasty Treat. Keep treats in your pocket and reward your dog with one as soon as he goes in the right spot. Lavish praise upon him, saying, "Good potty, good potty" so he understands the relationship between his potty and your praise.
6. Crate your dog until she learns to go in the correct spot. Crating is not inhumane if done correctly. In fact, dogs come to love their crates and often go there of their own accord to get away from people and other animals. However, you must keep your dog in her crate no longer than a couple of hours at a time during the day and no more than six hours overnight. Each time you let her out; take her immediately to his potty spot.
7. Stay consistent. Stubborn dogs need strict adherence to schedules and limitations. You dog wants to please you but you have to teach him how. Older dogs need not be difficult to train if you are consistent in your methods.
1. Clean up potty accidents immediately. Dogs use their noses as indicators of where to go potty and when they smell residual urine odors, they naturally think that is the place to go. Take a potty accident to his potty pad or outdoors and leave it there. Some dog breeds are notorious for being stubborn when housebreaking. If you have trouble with a terrier, a pointer, a setter or a Chihuahua, you must be extra consistent with the dog's sleeping, eating and potty walking schedule. Just one slip-up can set you back to square one.
Best Bully Sticks News!
Become a Facebook Fan, “Like” our page & Help us reach 10,000 fans.
When we reach 10,000 fan “Likes” all of our Facebook fans will be eligible to enter a giveaway to win a grand prize. We can’t spill the beans yet! The quicker we get to 10,000 “Likes” the sooner you can learn what that grand prize is. Thanks for “Liking” our page.
Best Bully Sticks Now Offering Free Shipping and Flat Rate Shipping!
Customer Service is #1. You asked for free and flat rate shipping, we listened! All orders over $89 ship free, all under $89 are a flat $6.95.
Give the gift of a good chew. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended!
Take The Guessing Out Of Gift Giving With A Best Bully Stick Gift Certificate!
But what do you do for the pampered pup or feline that has everything? Hmmm..For the pet that has everything give a Best Bully’s Gift Certificate and take the guessing out of gift giving! This is a great way for you to give that furry special someone in your life or loving pet owner a special gift by allowing them to select the exact products their furry companion are looking for.
A picture is worth a thousand words, or shall we say free bully sticks!
Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!