Weekly Drool Recipe: Sweet Teddy’s Strawberry Swirls
BestBullySticks.com wishes you a Happy First Day of Spring! Why not celebrate with your dog and whip up a spring inspired treat? Jen Mitchell Oddi from My Dog’s Breakfast has just the thing. She baked a yummy and beautiful treat for a friend’s whippet Edward (aka Teddy). Since Teddy has a sweet tooth but dogs can’t have much sugar, Jen created Sweet Teddy’s Strawberry Swirls! You and your dog can enjoy these fruity, coco-nutty treats together!
From Jen – My Dog’s Breakfast
Coconut is great for dogs – lots of benefits, especially in terms of their coat. I wish you could inhale the aroma of these cookies right now, it’s helping lighten up this dreary winter day. Oatmeal, strawberry, coconut, cinnamon.
So dear Edward – I hope you enjoy these scrumptious Strawberry Coconut Cookies. They’re not just for dogs, by the way, they’re actually quite tasty when soft and warm out of the oven!
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 mashed up banana
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Mix together the chopped strawberries with the cornstarch in a saucepan. Over medium heat, let them cook together until it reaches a jam like consistency. It should be thick but not too chunky.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg, then add the canola oil, honey, and mashed banana. Add this wet mixture to the dry and mix ‘er up.
- Cut a large sheet of parchment paper (about the size of a baking tray). Spread the “dough” mixture onto the parchment, then spread the strawberry jam on top evenly.
- Now, use your parchment to roll this into a log. Start by lifting the parchment (the side nearest to you) and proceed to roll the dough away from you. After each roll over, lift the parchment off and begin another roll. This is akin to rolling sushi.
- Firm it up into more of a cylindrical shape, then wrap the edges and let it cool and set a bit in the fridge for half an hour.
- Unwrap your bundle of strawberry coconut joy and place the parchment with log on a baking tray. Gently, and with a sharp knife, cut your cookie rounds. Lay your cookies out on the parchment paper. Sprinkle a little coconut love on top of each cookie, and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Let them cool and let your dog drool before giving them a Strawberry Swirl.
Thanks to Jen Mitchell Oddi at My Dog’s Breakfast for sharing her wonderful dog treat recipe and photos!
Be sure to check out all the scrumptious dog treats in the Weekly Drool Recipe category.