Weekly Drool Recipe: Turkey Bacon and Cheese Dog Treats
There are few tastier combinations we can think of than bacon and cheese, so when we came across The Blissful Bakker’s recipe for Turkey Bacon and Cheese Dog Treats, we knew we had to share it with you! In addition to their delicious flavor, turkey bacon and cheese each contain an assortment of beneficial nutrients as well. Cheese, which is high in calcium, vitamins A, B12, quality proteins and amino acids, is great for maintaining strong bones and healthy teeth. Turkey bacon, a lower fat version of pork bacon, is a great source of lean protein and carbs for energy, muscle and tissue health. With this win-win in taste and nutrition, it’s no wonder both cheese and bacon are universally loved by dog and owner alike! Here’s how Rachel at The Blissful Bakker combines the two into a delicious treat your pup is sure to love:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus more if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Stir in milk, chopped bacon and cheddar cheese until a soft dough forms (you may have to add a little more flour if the dough seems really sticky).
- Roll out the dough with your hands to make half inch balls (you may want to alter this based on your dog's size)
- Place balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes or until slightly crunchy.
- Cool and store in an airtight container for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to one month.
Note: If your pup has any dietary issues, be sure to consult with your vet before feeding these treats to your furry friend.
Thanks so much to Rachel (and her pup, Darby!) at The Blissful Bakker for sharing this recipe with us!
For more tasty treats, check back each week for more Weekly Drool Recipes on the Healthy Dog Blog! Or, for an every day chew, give your pup an all-natural bully stick!