Weekly Drool Recipe - Bacon Biscotti
This week's Best Bully Sticks Weekly Drool Recipe will have your dog barking for more! A hearty winter treat, these Bacon Biscotti are easy to make and are packed full of real bacon. These biscotti also make great gifts or a crunchy contribution to a puppy party or play date.
6 slices bacon, chopped
canola or olive oil (optional)
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
1 cup (250 mL) oats
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon drippings or canola oil
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) honey
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook the bacon until crisp in a skillet over medium-high heat. You can save the drippings and use them in place of the oil, or you can use half and half, just so long as 1/4 cup is used.
3. Combine the flours, oats and baking powder in a large bowl.
4. Combine the water, eggs, bacon drippings and/or oil, and honey in a small bowl. Stir.
5. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Add the cooked and crumbled bacon and mix well.
6. Shape the dough into a log that is about 12” long, place on an ungreased baking sheet and flatten until it’s about 6” wide. If you like, brush the top with a little beaten egg to give it a shiny finish.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, until firm.
8. Reduce the oven temperature to 250° F. Cool the log and cut it on a slight diagonal into 1/2” -1” thick slices using a sharp, serrated knife. Place the biscotti upright on the baking sheet, keeping them spaced about 1/2” apart, and put them back into the oven for another half an hour. If you want them hard, turn the oven off but leave them inside to harden as the oven cools.
9. If you prefer a softer finished product, bake them only once so they will stay soft.
Makes about 18 biscotti pieces. Store in a tightly covered container in the fridge, or freeze.