Weekly Drool Recipe: Blueberry Pumpkin Dog Treats
Today, we at BestBullySticks.com are very excited bring you a dog treat recipe chock-full of “good-for-you” stuff! You know, like when you eat a fresh piece of fruit that’s in season and your body loves you for it? Well, these Blueberry Pumpkin Dog Treats from Matthew at Vegan Heartland will do just that for your pup! Read on to learn about Matthew’s Yellow Lab, Keeva and her favorite treat.
Keeva has been on a mostly homemade vegan diet for almost a year now and she's doing amazing! She does eat kibble every now and then and she absolutely loves it!
I know there's one thing I can count on though and that would be these treats! Keeva absolutely loves these! Not only does she love to snack on them but they're super nutritious for her! She get's the antioxidants from the blueberries and pumpkin + the omega-3 fatty acids and lignans from the flax seed meal. I think when I make these next time I'm going to add some sesame seed meal and molasses to add a little boost of calcium to her diet. They're super easy to make and you can cut them out into any shape you like!
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour (you could try using oat or brown rice flour for wheat free treats!)
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup water
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Blend together the applesauce and pumpkin. Once the applesauce and pumpkin are well combined, stir in the flour and flax seed meal. Add in enough water until dough just becomes workable. The dough will be a little stiff, but don't worry, that's what we're going for! Work the rest of the ingredients together with your hands until all have become well incorporated.
4. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Press the blueberries into your treats (as shown in picture above.)
5. Bake on one side for 20 minutes then turn over and bake on the other side for another 20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before feeding to your pups!
Bone Appétit & Enjoy!
Thanks to Matthew & Keeva from Vegan Heartland for sharing their great recipe and wonderful photos!
Be sure to check out all of our Weekly Drool Recipes to find the perfect all-natural dog treat recipe for your pup!