Weekly Drool Recipe: Peanut Butter Apple Dog Biscuits from Yuki + Rocket
This time of year, apple orchards around the country are sending delighted locals home with bushels full of all the diversity of the apple world. Red Delicious, Macintosh, Pink Lady, Granny Smith and more are gracing many tarts, pies and jam jars this Fall. BestBullySticks.com knows it wouldn’t be Autumn if the smell of some concoction of baked apples wasn’t wafting out of the kitchen.
Don’t let your dog miss out on the apple harvest! Melissa from her Yuki + Rocket (her two Schnauzers) blog has done it again. Her take on this apple-licious dog treats is sure to please your pooch! Here is Melissa’s recipe for Peanut Butter Apple Dog Biscuits!
1 1/2 cups of brown rice flour
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp cinnamon
1 medium apple, grated, remove core and all seeds
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/8 cup of fat free milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. In a large bowl, combine brown rice flour, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, and cinnamon.
4. With a fork, fold in apple and ginger, taking care the ginger does not stay in a clump and is evenly distributed throughout the mix.
5. In a separate small bowl, mix the peanut butter and honey. After combined mix it into the large bowl.
6. Add milk.
7. Knead with your hands, this will get messy. If you notice the dough is still too crumbly and is not sticking together very well, slowly add a little milk until it does.
8. Shape into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap and store in fridge for about 10 minutes.
9. When you are ready to cut the shapes out, flour a surface and divide the dough in half. Since this recipe uses brown rice flour, it makes for a crumbly dough. If you don't want to deal having to use cookie cutters, at this point you can just cut the dough with a knife and just make them into bars. If you're like me, you'll want to use cookie cutters, I recommend a basic shape.
10. Roll out dough out to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes. You may only get a couple shapes at a time, so you will have to keep kneading, rolling it out, then cutting shapes. Use both halves of dough.
11. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 13-14 minutes or until edges become golden.
Recipe Notes: Remember, as with all the other recipes, these are fresh treats that don't contain preservatives, so they don't last as long as the ones from the store. I try and keep this in mind and make small batches. I always store all the treats in the fridge and always check for signs of spoilage, such as mold.
Also, make sure you’ve removed all the seeds from the apple. Apple seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide.
Be sure to check out all of Best Bully Sticks Weekly Drool Recipes to find a great homemade treat for your pooch! We've got great Fall recipes like Gluten-Free Cheddar Pumpkin Treats, 1-Ingredient Sweet Potato Treats and Peanut Butter Pumpkin Biscuits for a great festive Autumn treat!