At Best Bully Sticks we have some pretty amazing customers—who care about their dogs through and through. From tip of the nose to tip of the tail, our customer will go great lengths to get their dog the best and healthiest options for a full and happy canine life. Aleksandra Ninova is no different. She even took some of our safe and healthy treats and made her protein-packed dog treats! We thought we’d share her story and recipe with you so you can recreate this healthy and tasty treat for your pup!
As a new doggie mom, I want the best for my little boy Bruno. I spend a bunch of time researching the best dog food, best feeding techniques (such as rotational feeding – switching food brands every few months), as well as healthiest, natural dog treats. I also love cooking, so I decided to cook up some treats for my little guy. When researching recipes, I saw that just about all (basically all) of them have a lot of flour as an ingredient. Granted, the flour is usually whole wheat, or brown rice, but I was determined to find a way to minimize the amount of flour and starch in my dog treats as dogs do not NEED too much of it (if any at all). So thus I looked around my supplies to see what I could substitute flour for.
Recently, I had ordered a big box of treats for my little guy from Best Bully Sticks (shout out to you, guys – your products rock!) and some of the items were beef sausages, as well as a long chicken sausage and a long bacon sausage. They were all really nice and dry, so I figured that if my food processor can handle grinding them up, they would make the best kind of flour for my dog – MEAT FLOUR! So I ventured off to the kitchen to try my theory out, and lo and behold, it worked! I also added a bit of duck jerky and a dry fish skin for extra protein and Omega 3 fatty acids, but those are optional. The rest of the ingredients are also dog-friendly and healthy for them, giving them even more protein – the egg and cheese, as well as fiber and vitamins – the veggies. There is still some flour used in there just because the mix was still quite wet, but it is significantly less than other recipes for homemade treats that I have seen, and I pledge to constantly work toward reducing the amount used in Bruno’s treats. But I consider this an initial success, and Bruno loved it, so I hope your dogs enjoy it too!
Healthy Protein-Packed Dog Pizza Treats
- 1/2 Best Bully Sticks Chicken Sausage
- 1/2 Best Bully Sticks Bacon Sausage
- 1 Best Bully Sticks Beef Sausage
- 1 Dried Fish Skin (optional)
- 3 strips Duck Jerky (optional)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 radish
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used Colby Jack)
- 1 small low sodium beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or tomato puree (made of tomatoes and water only, no sugar or other items added)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or bacon fat
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour (whole wheat or brown rice flour would work too)
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon dry rosemary
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor or blender, grind up beef, bacon, and chicken sausages as well as the duck jerky and fish skin to fine powder/tiny crumbs. Fish skin and jerky may remain a bit stringy, but that is okay.
3. Pour dry meat mix in a mixing bowl.
4. In a food processor or blender grind until finely chopped the carrot, radish, and celery.
5. Pour in the mixing bowl with the meat crumbs.
6. Add all remaining ingredients.
7. Using a spatula or your hands, mix until a homogenous wet mix forms.
8. Pour mix on a cookie sheet or pizza pan lined with parchment paper and even out until about 1/4 inch thick.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
10. Take out, let cool down just a bit then cut up in desired treat sizes.
11. Serve to beloved pooch(es).
Thanks Aleksandra and Bruno for sharing their great recipe and photos! Check out more tasty treats for your pooch in our Weekly Drool Recipe category! Think of it as your own personal dog-treat recipe box. Buy your own ingredients for this recipe at BestBullySticks.com!
For an everyday healthy and natural treat, give your dog a bully stick from BBS!